As part of House of Prints commitment to support artists and promote printmaking, we are delighted to be partnering up Double Elephant Print Workshop, Hot Bed Press and Thames Side Print Studio and offer three bursaries to art graduates of 2019 and 2020 – which include a cash award of £350 and a package of access/courses from one of our partner studios.
Deadline 5pm 30th of September 2020
Who can apply
2019 or 2020 BA/MA/MFA visual art graduates who are committed to using printmaking techniques in their work.
What is on offer
- £350 bursary for material and other costs that will help you carry on making;
- 3 x support sessions with Tonia Lu, the founder/director of House of Prints, and experienced artist advisor;
- The opportunity of inclusion of work on House of Prints;
- One year’s Subscription to Pressing Matters magazine (4 issues);
- To work at one of our partner print studios:
Double Elephant Print Workshop, Exeter
- A combination of Course/Courses and Studio time up to the value of £500 – to be agreed between the print studio and the bursary receiver;
Working from our Exeter city-centre base, Double Elephant Print Workshop offers courses, resources and support to professional printmakers, artists and beginners alike.
Hot Bed Press, Salford
- Free 6-month Membership & 60 hours access to the print studio (you must be experienced with printmaking equipment and will be able to self-direct) – available from Jan 2020;
Hot Bed Press is one of the largest open access print workshops in the UK and boasts very well equipped spacious and light print facilities with support from technicians and a community of artists working in a range of print media including screenprint, etching, relief print, letterpress, collagraphs, photo-etching and much more besides.
‘We are working to support artists through COVID 19 and to keep such great resources available to all. Unfortunately, at present we are not 100% disables accessible as we are situated on the first floor and have no lift, but plans are afoot to expand again to the ground floor over the next couple of years; as soon as we can get the funding/generate the money to invest in a major expansion.’
Thames Side Print Studio, London
- Free annual membership and 25 x 3-hour sessions during Open Access Days (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
Thames Side Print Studio is one of London’s largest open access print studios that offers facilities and courses in screenprinting, etching, offset litho, relief, textiles and large format printing. Based at Thames-Side Studios in SE18, the print studio boasts exceptional facilities and services in a clean and spacious environment.
- Graduated 2019 or 2020 with a BA/MA/MFA or equivalent – not necessarily from a Printmaking course;
- Commitment to printmaking – in its most traditional or contemporary sense;
- Approach to utilise the bursary opportunity.
Applicants must be committed to working at one or more of our three partner studios (details above), and successful applicants will be responsible for their own travel and living expenses while working at the studios – it’s up to the applicant whether they would like to use the cash award to cover some of that cost.
You will need:
- a selection of 4 images of your work;
- an artist CV and Statement – if you don’t have them already, you may find these information on ArtQuest website helpful:
Artist Statement: https://www.artquest.org.uk/how-to-articles/artist-statement/
You will be asked which print studio you’d like to work in, and how you would utilise this opportunity to further your practice – you can answer the latter in writing or other formats (audio/video).
Deadline 5pm 30th of September 2020
For any further enquiries, please email email@example.com